Listening and viewing in a foreign language are complex skills. There are strategies that you can use to enhance your comprehension. These strategies can be used before, during and after the actual listening/viewing activity.
You can review Listening and viewing strategies before proceeding with this activity or explore the navigation panel to view more activities in this category.
Upon completion of this task you will be able to:
- improve your listening skills
- demonstrate an understanding of the video and its details
- reflect on useful listening & viewing strategies
Before the activity
Please refer to the language specific activities by selecting the language tabs at the bottom of the page.
- You are going to watch a video, before you begin:
- Read the title of the video. In your opinion, what is the video about?
- Watch the video without sound:
- What happens?
- What can you see?
- What do you think the the audio will say?
- Write down your answers in a piece of paper.
- Watch the video with the sound and compare your previous guess with the actual contents of the video.
- Complete the comprehension exercises if available.
After the activity – Final Reflection:
What did you learn during this activity in terms of:
- Listening and viewing skills and strategies
- Cultural and social contents of the video
- Vocabulary and language
Reflect on these two pre-viewing activities/strategies. Do you think they helped you for a better understanding of the video? How?
Reflect on the comprehension exercises. Do you think they helped you for a better understanding of the video? How?
Source/attribution: Digilanguages Author: Valentina Rizzo
You are going to watch a video called “What’s it like to study in Ireland?”.
Follow the instructions given under the section “Procedure”.
Use this activity to practice your listening and viewing strategies, and to learn some new information about the experience of studying in Ireland.
- What does the first student study?
- What is the difference between classes in Ireland and China?
- What was discussed in relation to work experience for students?
- Name two places to visit mentioned in the video.
- List the words used to describe the Irish people.
- Why would you study in Ireland?
This link provides listening exercises (B1-B2 and C1 level) from French TV News programmes as well as songs, poems, ads and movie trailers. Each video comes with listening activities.
Atribbutes source: Ver-taal.com
Breathnaigh ar an nasc thíos le leideanna a fháil faoi bhealaí éifeachtacha le do chuid scileanna léitheoireachta agus éisteachta a fhorbairt:
Minimum Level B1
You are going to watch a video called “studiare in Italia”. Follow the instructions given under the section “Procedure”. Use this activity to practice your listening and viewing strategies and to learn some new information about the experience of studying in Italy.
Link for the video and the pdf for the activity exercises:
Source/attribution: italianoperstranieri.loescher.it Author: Valentina Rizzo
This link provides listening exercises (B1-B2 and C1 level) from TV Spanish News programms, film trailers and advertisements. Each video comes with listening activities.
Atribbutes source: Ver-taal.com